How can there be bad kittens? I look around at the shredded piles of toilet paper and I see only good kittens who sometimes do bad things. That said, it is pretty hard to shake the sense that Tangerine is truly a bad, bad kitten pretending at occasional goodness -- what's with all the glowing demon-eyes in the photos!!

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Ginger Pumpkin Soup




And now presenting, the Almighty Ginger Pumpkin Soup! By Dora the Explorer!











Of course we can't put a real picture of Dora the Explorer, because Big-Bird dressed as a lawyer will come after us. So instead, we'll use a more generic, non copyrighted depiction.






And now presenting, the Almighty Ginger Pumpkin Soup! By Dora the Explorer!







Also Starring, Uncle Sandy the Demented Orangutan!







Ingredients

2 - 15 oz cans pumpkin puree
3 - 14.5 oz cans chicken broth
1 - 11.5 oz can pear nectar
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
2 cloves garlic (finely chopped or pressed)
2 Tbsp grated fresh ginger root.
2 Tbsp finely chopped green onion
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
toasted pumpkin seeds (optional) for garnish
chopped chives (optional) for garnish

Directions

1) in a 6 quart saucepan, combine pumpkin puree, chicken broth, and peat nectar. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes.

2) In a blender or the bowl of a food processor fitted with chopping blades, process 1 cup pumpkin mixture with peanut butter until smooth. Return to saucepan with the pumpkin mixture. Add garlic, ginger root, green onions, lime juice, salt and cayenne pepper, cook 10 minutes over medium hear.

Extra directions:
For next day leftovers, bring to boil, reduce heat to low and let simmer for 5 minutes. Use stove to re-heat, do not use microwave!

Comments

Beware! If you use pumpkin pie mix, it will taste weird. Use pumpkin puree!


For this recipe, Dora uses Skippy or Jif or Gyp, one of those sugary peanut butters. Luckily, she sent me a jar of old-tyme sugary peanut butter. You can't buy peanut butter in California that is not made of 100% organic peanuts, sustainably-grown and cold-pressed in small batches by happy peasants paid a living wage.


Maybe take it easy on the ginger. Tatiana and I got quite gingered up when we followed the recipe and used 2 tablespoons of freshly grated ginger.

Tatiana and I don't have fancy stuff like food processors or 14 speed blenders, so we simplified the recipe to one step: put everything in a big pot, boil, simmer, eat, get gingered up.

Also, for reheating, Dora doesn't seem to like microwave heat, without really saying why.  Well, I don't like electrical heat, myself.   I much prefer gas, because the heat is so much more immediate and even - don't you agree?   Anyway, Dora is too bossy to let me use microwave ovens and I'm too snooty to use electric stoves, and I don't have a gas stove.   So, I have to eat the leftovers cold.

When I took the leftovers to work, I found that all they have there in the lunchroom is a microwave oven.  I was shivering away one day, hunched over and eating my ice-cold leftover soup when a colleague suggested I warm it up in the microwave oven.  Philistines!  Aposates!   I harrumphed the wise words of Dora: "use stove to re-heat, do not use microwave" and went back to chipping chunks off the soup lick.

Honestly, though, the soup was really good, and I enjoyed the beneficial effects of ginger for days!